This residence permit was invented specifically for digital nomads in order to be able to work smoothly in Hungary. You can apply for this new residence permit from 1 January 2022. It is the so-called White Card, which is aimed at third-country nationals and is valid for a maximum of two years.
A White Card shall be granted to a third-country national who
- has a verified employment relationship in a country other than Hungary and performs his/her work from Hungary using an advanced digital technology solution, or owns a share in a company with a verified profit in a country other than Hungary and performs his/her work or manages his/her company from Hungary using an advanced digital technology solution,
- meets the general conditions for staying in Hungary for more than 90 days within any 180 day period and is not subject to any of the disqualifications provided by law, and
- does not pursue any gainful activity in Hungary and does not hold a share in a Hungarian company.
Except as provided for by law, an application for White Card may be submitted to any consulate officer of Hungary, or at any other place authorised to accept applications for residence permit located in the country where the applicant’s permanent or temporary residence is located, or in the country of the applicant’s nationality.
1. Can I apply for a White Card even if I am an EU citizen?
No, the White Card is for third-country nationals. It is important to emphasize, that a third-country national holding a valid residence permit has the right of entry without a visa and the right of residence for a limited period in the territory of Schengen Member States.
2. How long does it take to process an application?
The relevant authority shall rule on the application for White Card within 30 days.
3. Do I have to appear in person when I submit my application?
Yes, when submitting the application, the applicant is required to appear before the authority in person.
4. How long is the White Card valid for?
The validity period for the White Card is maximum one year.
5. Can the validity of the White Card be extended?
Yes, it may be extended once for the same purpose by maximum one additional year.
6. Do I have to prove my living / income in Hungary? What is the minimum amount?
Yes, you must prove your living. It is considered to have sufficient resources to cover your subsistence if your monthly legal income is equal to or exceeds EUR 2,000 for at least 6 months prior to entry.
7. Do I still have to have this amount after I have applied?
Yes, you must have this amount of income throughout the period of stay in Hungary.
8. Can the White Card be used for family reunification?
No, it cannot be used.
9. I would like to set up a company in Hungary and pursue a gainful activity. Can I apply for a White Card?
No, a White Card shall not be granted to any third-country national whose purpose of stay is to pursue a gainful activity. An application may be submitted by a third-country national who is employed in a verified employment relationship in a country other than Hungary or has an ownership share in a company with a verified profit in a country other than Hungary.
10. I am coming to Hungary to study at university. Can I get a White Card?
No, a White Card shall not be granted to a third-country national who holds a residence permit for the purpose of pursuing studies.